It seems like just yesterday I was feeling great in my body, my nutrition was on point so was sleep, hydration and meditation. I was feeling so good in my skin that I thought “a little bit of this and a little bit of that won’t hurt”, I allowed a little too much freedom in my nutrition and just like that, I woke up and thought “where did this belly bulge and fat around my thighs come from?”
Ok, I am over exaggerating a bit. It was approximately 3 weeks of indulgences that led to one morning of OMG! I’m not saying I am fat by any means. What I am saying is that we all have moments where we need to burn body fat fast in order to feel good in our body again so here are my 5 simply steps.
5 Ways to shed body fat fast
- Reduce Stress My recent weight fluctuation came from a trip to Germany. After a week away and a lot of jet lag, my body was in a stressful state. I didn’t take the proper steps to stay hydrated and find a good sleep cycle which led me to mindless eating. Stress takes a major toll on the body by increasing cortisol which makes the body want to hold on to excess fat. Take some time to read, relax and meditate in order to reduce your stress.
- Get your ZZZ’s Lack of sleep increases visceral fat. Aim for a solid 7-8 hours of sleep each night on a consistent sleep schedule. Aim to wake and go to bed at the same time each day and do your best to time this with the rise and fall of the sun. Having trouble sleeping? Try this Lavender Oil to help, it works magic for me!
- Ramp up your Cardio Cardiovascular exercise is awesome for shedding excess fat. Cardio can be a walk around the block, run, cycle or swim, it can also be High Intensity Interval Training which is one of my favorites as it is the fastest was to burn body fat in a short time. HIIT also gives you the same metabolic boost post workout that resistance training does which means more calories burned in a shorter amount of time. Give it a try… HIIT Workout: 6-10 rounds with 3-5 minute warm up and cool down. 30 seconds of work followed by 30-60 second rest period.Burpess > Sprints > Jump Rope > Jump Lunge
- Increase your Protein Protein is the building blocks to our muscles, the more muscle mass you have the more calories you burn at rest (i.e. the more lean muscle you have the more calories you burn while sitting, reading this blog… more bang for your buck!). Protein is also proven to increase metabolic rate, sanitation and reduce cravings. Aim for whole eggs, organic chicken, grass fed beef, salmon.
- Avoid Sugar and Reduce Carbs Sugar is a legal drug! Sugar is bad for excess body fat, metabolic and brain health. When you consume too much sugar the liver can not metabolize it therefore some is turned into added body fat. Avoid sugary drinks and foods, processed and refined carbohydrates like bread, pasta and cookies. Aim to increase your fiber instead by adding in vegetables.
So there you have it, my 5 simple steps to shed body fat fast. Now I have work to do because I need to shed the few pounds I’ve recently put on.
Here’s to a nourished body.